1 French actor and cabaret singer (1888-1972) [syn: Maurice Chevalier]
2 a gallant or courtly gentleman [syn: cavalier]
EtymologyFrom Middle English < < caballus
Chevalier is a French word meaning, literally, "horseman", but used as a title that is the equivalent of the English "knight".
"Chevalier" can be:
- The honorific used to address a person holding the rank of chevalier
- A rank in the Légion d'honneur.
- A Dining/Drinking society at University College, Oxford
- Highest honor possible given to an active member of the Order of DeMolay.
- Chevalier College, an MSC school in Bowral, Australia.
- A member of the Ordre National du Mérite (in English: The National Order of Merit), an Order of Chivalry awarded by the President of the French Republic.
- A member of the Order of Palmes académiques ,an Order of Chivalry.
- Male non-professional member of the Chaine des Rotisseurs.
- Chevalier-Montrachet, grand cru vineyard in the Côte de Beaune
- The French word for a signet ring, traditionally worn by the French nobility
People named "Chevalier"
- Albert Chevalier (1861–1923), an English comedian and actor
- Franck Chevalier (born 1973), a French violist
- Godfrey Chevalier, (1889–1922), an American naval aviator
- Grahame Chevalier (born 1937), a South African cricketer
- Haakon Chevalier (1901-1985), an author
- Jules Chevalier (1824-1907), a French Roman Catholic priest
- Marcel Chevalier (born 1921), a French executioner
- Maurice Chevalier (1888-1972), a Belgian-French actor, singer, and popular entertainer
- Michael Chevalier (1933-), a German synchronis speaker and actor
- Mike Chevalier (1943-2006), an American cinematographer
- Morgan Chevalier, a fictional character
- Nicholas Chevalier (1828-1902), Australian artist
- Pierre Chevalier (1905 – 2001), a French caver and mountaineer
- Sivaji Ganesan Chevalier (1927 - 2001), an Indian actor and politician
- Tracy Chevalier (born 1962), a historical novelist
- Ulysse Chevalier (1841–1923), a French bibliographer and historian
"Chevalier" in Arts and Literature
- Hotel Chevalier, the short film that precedes The Darjeeling Limited
- Le Chevalier D'Eon, a 2006 anime.
- Title given to the chiropteran characters who accompany and protect the Queens in the anime TV series Blood+.
- Title given to the male Gallivespian characters who accompany the Ladys in the His Dark Materials book trilogy by Philip Pullman.
chevalier in Breton: Marc'heg (digejañ)
chevalier in German: Chevalier
chevalier in Spanish: Chevalier
chevalier in French: Chevalier
chevalier in Italian: Chevalier
chevalier in Japanese: シュヴァリエ
chevalier in Russian: Шевалье
Bayard, Don Quixote, Gawain, Lancelot, Ritter, Sidney, Sir Galahad, bachelor, banneret, baronet, broncobuster, buckaroo, caballero, cavalier, cavalryman, circus rider, companion, cowboy, cowgirl, cowpuncher, equestrian, equestrienne, gallant, gaucho, horse soldier, horseback rider, horsebacker, horseman, horsewoman, jockey, knight, knight bachelor, knight banneret, knight baronet, knight-errant, mounted policeman, postboy, postilion, puncher, rider, roughrider, steeplechaser, trick rider, vaquero